makes one thick crust pizza (16-in)
start to finish: 1 hr 15 min
1 small head broccoli (about 1 pound)
1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 small yellow summer squash, trimmed and sliced into coins
½ pint (1 cup) cherry tomatoes
6 white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Roasted Vegetable Pizza
1 pound store-bought or homemade pizza dough
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup store-bought or homemade marinara sauce
6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into ¼-inch cubes
Finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese, for garnish
1. Make the vegetables: Preheat the oven to 400˚.
2. Trim the broccoli florets into bite-size pieces, reserving the stalks for another use. In a large roasting pan or baking sheet, combine the florets with the bell pepper, onion, squash, tomatoes, mushrooms and olive oil. Toss the vegetables to coat with the olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bake the vegetables for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until they are tender and lightly browned. Set the roasted vegetables aside.
3. Make the pizza: Increase the oven temperature to 500˚ and place a pizza stone (or a cookie sheet) on the center rack to preheat.
4. Meanwhile, lightly sprinkle a work surface with flour. Place your dough on the work surface and roll it out into a 16-inch circle. Sprinkle a light dusting of flour onto a pizza peel and gently transfer the dough to the peel. (Don’t have a pizza peel? You can build the pizza directly on the preheated pizza stone/cookie sheet instead.)
5. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the outer ½-inch border of the dough with the olive oil. Spread the marinara sauce over the crust, just up to the olive oil-brushed border. Scatter the mozzarella and 2 cups of the reserved roasted vegetables on top of the sauce. (Reserve remaining roasted vegetables for another use.) Garnish the pizza with a sprinkling of the Pecorino Romano.
6. Slide the pizza off the peel directly onto the baking stone in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and the crust is golden. Let the pizza sit for 1 minute before slicing and serving.